DIY Hemp Lip Balm
Introduction: DIY Hemp Lip Balm
I found out about an interesting alternative to peppermint lip balm which is also great for dry and cracked lips. Main ingredient, hemp oil is a natural moisturizer, rich in vitamin D. Hemp oil is also used to prevent skin diseases such as: psoriasis, eczema, acne, and dry skin. In case you worried, hemp oil is perfectly legal and it doesn’t contain any psychoactive compounds.
I added a small amount of lavender oil in the mixture for better smell. Also the amount of beeswax depends on your preferences. In this recipe I created medium firm lip balm but if you prefer more solid lip balm mixture add more beeswax. This recipe will fill 3 lip balm tubes, so multiply the ingredients if you want to make more of them for the gifts.
Hemp Lip Balm Recipe
- 1.5 teaspoon of beeswax
- 2 teaspoon of shea butter (or avocado butter)
- 2 teaspoon of hemp seed oil
- 3 drops of lavender essential oil or other essential oil of your choice (optional)
- Mix the shea butter and beeswax in a double boiler until it melts. Make sure to cook it on a slow fire so it doesn’t melt too fast. Use older pots for cooking because it can be hard to wash off the leftovers of the beeswax.
- Turn the heat off and add hemp seed oil and lavender essential oil. Make sure that the mixture is still on the stove so it doesn’t solidify and you need to be quick.
- Pour the mixture into the lip balm containers, or use a pipette if you have it. Pour it carefully.
- Leave it to cool off for about 20 minutes before using it.
Shelf life: It should last for approximately one year if you used fresh ingredients. If not, lip balms will last as long as the ingredient with the shortest shelf life.
Read more about hemp lip balm recipe.
Be the First to Share
Did you make this project? Share it with us!
DIY Hemp Lip Balm : I found out about an interesting alternative to peppermint lip balm which is also great for dry and cracked lips. Main ingredient, hemp oil is a natural moisturizer, rich in vitamin D. Hemp oil is also used to prevent skin diseases such as: psoriasi…
Hemp & Honey Lip Balm
This recipe has been kindly provided to DIY Beauty Diva by Stephanie from Garden Therapy. This recipe was adapted from A Green Guide to Natural Beauty, a book by Karen Gilbert.
This lip balm is blended with honey which is brilliant for the lips, given its antibacterial properties. The only small problem you might face is that honey is water-soluble so you will have to whisk it vigorously to get it to blend with the oils, butters and waxes in this recipe. Don’t worry if you’re left with some honey in the bottom of your jar or tube, there will definitely be some in your finished product!
Stephanie added in a blend of citrus essential oil to mask the smell of the hemp oil. As this is a very specific blend that not everyone will be able to buy, I’d recommend going with sweet orange essential oil which will still give you that lovely citrus finish. This is a lovely lip balm recipe.