CBD Soap Recipes to Try at Home
Did you know you can use CBD on your skin? Because the skin has CBD receptors it’s able to absorb CBD compounds, making it one of the four routes of absorption. And since it’s absorbed so effectively through the skin, CBD is an ideal ingredient in creams, lotions and bath bombs.
Another popular way to deliver CBD to the body is with CBD soap. People have started becoming more aware of the importance of using soap that is nourishing and easy on the skin. This requires using ingredients that are natural and healthy, like CBD oil. The best part is that making your own CBD-infused soap isn’t hard to do. In fact, there are a few different simple recipes for making homemade CBD soap which we’ll discuss in this post.
How CBD Soaps Work
When we use topical CBD products, the cannabinoid receptors on our skin absorb the CBD compounds, energizing our endocannabinoid system (ECS). This produces homeostasis in our minds and bodies that may generate a sense of balance and calmness.
By creating a DIY CBD soap, you have the freedom to customize them to your personal needs. Homemade soaps are usually a vibrant and healthy mix of other types of natural oils as well, like coconut and essential oils, which each carry their own scents and unique benefits.
Using CBD Oil in Your Recipe: Things to Keep in Mind
Before we dive into our recipes, it’s important to discuss a few significant factors about adding CBD oil to your soap.
Finding Quality CBD Oil
When selecting a CBD oil for your recipe, it’s crucial that you look for high-quality CBD products. This requires taking time to research brands and their production methods to ensure that what you’re putting into your body is safe and legitimate. If you’re new to CBD, here are a few key things to look for when choosing CBD oils:
- It comes from organic, nutrient-rich, and contaminant-free soil.
- It comes from quality extraction and refinement processes.
- It’s gone through legitimate third-party testing labs, and you have access to these test results.
Using Saponification & Heat
Saponification (after sapo, Latin for soap) occurs when a solution of lye combines with oils and creates a chemical reaction that breaks the oils down into chains of fatty acids. Heating the lye and oil solution evaporates the water molecules, turning the solution into a solid form, producing bar soap.
Though CBD is known to evaporate under high heat, you won’t have to worry about this when it comes to making your CBD soap. CBD tends to lose its potency at around 300 degrees, but soaps only need to be heated up to about 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
Knowing How Much CBD Oil to Add
Though many CBD soap recipes list a specific amount of CBD oil to use, it’s important to note that every person’s body is different and will respond differently to the cannabinoids in CBD; thus, we can’t say exactly how much CBD oil you should use in your recipe. Finding the right amount of CBD to use will take some trial-and-error. If you already know what your ideal serving of CBD is, you can multiply it by the number of bars of soap you’re making and use that measurement as a starting point.
CBD Bar Soap Recipe with Lye
This recipe yields 12 four-ounce bars, or three pounds of CBD bar soap. It involves using lye, so take extra caution and be sure to wear protective gear.
- 10 ounces coconut oil
- 5 ounces cocoa butter
- 5 ounces shea butter
- 5 ounces castor oil
- 5 ounces avocado oil
- 11.9 ounces filtered water
- 4.1 ounces lye
- 1 ounce lavender essential oil (or any essential oil of your choice)
- Desired amount of CBD oil
- Soap mold
- Stainless steel pot
- Stainless steel spoon
- Plastic spatula
- Hand mixer or stick blender
- Old plastic container (for your lye)
- Thermometer (a cheap candy thermometer will work just fine)
- Towels to incubate your mold
- Protection gear like gloves, goggles, and mask
- Combine your coconut, cocoa butter, shea butter, castor, avocado, and CBD oils in a large stainless steel pot. Heat them together on low until they are melted. Stir frequently with your stainless steel spoon and make sure they are combined well. Use your thermometer to make sure the mixture reaches 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In your plastic container, add your filtered water and then slowly pour your lye into the water (if you pour the water into the lye, the solution can explode). Stir them together with a stainless steel spoon until well combined. This solution will heat up when you combine them, so set this aside after stirring to get it to cool down between 95 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit (use your thermometer to keep track of this).
- When both mixtures—oils and lye water—are around 95 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit, pour the lye water into your pot of oils. Blend them together with a hand mixer or stick blender for about two to three minutes or until combined well.
- Add your essential oil to the mixture and stir.
- Using your spatula, pour the mixture into your soap molds.
- Using your towels, cover and insulate your molds for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, remove your soap from the molds, cut them, and let them cure for four to six weeks (turn them occasionally to ensure all sides dry out).
Note: Be very careful handling and mixing the lye; it’s extremely caustic and can cause severe damage if it stays on your skin. It’s recommended that you do this step outside and wear your goggles, mask, and gloves while doing this. Be sure to hold your breath/avoid breathing in the fumes.
CBD Bar Soap Recipe Without Lye
If you don’t feel like involving yourself with lye just yet, we have an easy melt and pour recipe below. This entails melting soap base in your microwave and adding fragrances and CBD.
- 1 pound of melt-and-pour soap base of your choice (goat milk, aloe, and honey are a few popular choices)
- Desired amount of CBD oil
- 0.25 to 0.5 ounces of fragrance or essential oil of your choice
- Soap-safe colorants and herbal additives like calendula petals to decorate your soaps
- A heated or butcher’s knife
- A microwave
- Spoon or spatula for mixing
- Soap molds
- Chop the soap base up into one to two inch cubes.
- Heat the soap base cubes in the microwave in short bursts until most of it has melted. Stir them frequently in between the heating sessions.
- When most of the soap has melted, stir in your CBD oil and mix thoroughly.
- Add in your optional fragrances/essential oil, colorants, and herbs. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the solution into your molds, and let them harden completely. You can use your towels to cover and insulate them.
Be sure to store any extra hardened soap in an airtight container to prevent sweating (due to the natural glycerin content of the soap).
Discover Quality CBD for Your Skin
Whether you use it during your bath or just to wash your hands, these CBD soap recipes will help you maintain healthy skin and an overall sense of calm and balance.
When shopping for CBD, quality matters. For this recipe or for everyday use, we recommend Hemplucid’s Full-Spectrum CBD Water Soluble. Nano-enhanced for fast-acting results, this water soluble CBD can be easily mixed with other liquids and is the perfect addition to homemade soap recipes.A vibrant and healthy mix of natural oils, soap is a great way to enjoy CBD topically. Learn more by checking out these CBD soap recipes to try at home.
CBD Soap: A Beginner’s Guide [2019 Update]
CBD soap is the latest CBD-infused topical product to hit the market. Using CBD soap promotes skin wellness and can help those battling from eczema and both facial and body acne.
But if CBD soap isn’t your cup of tea, CBD Oil Blog recommends trying CBD gummies from Chill Plus Bears or Sunday Scaries and CBD oil from Wild Things CBD.
[product-multiple product-id1=10380 product-id2=10338 product-id3=10384]
CBD Soap: The Highlights
- CBD soap is a product laden with lots of skin soothing essential fatty acids derived from the seeds of the cannabis plant.
- CBD infused soaps have an advantage over the routinely used soaps since they lack industrial chemicals which tend to damage the skin.
- Using CBD soap will not get a person high.
- Using CBD soap will produce little to no side effects, with the most common being fatigue and dizziness.
- CBD soap is one of the easiest ways to incorporate CBD into your body.
CBD Soap Benefits
Here are some CBD products CBD Oil Blog recommends:
CBD soap, much like CBD oil and CBD gummies, could be beneficial in the following ways:
Moisturizes The Skin
As already mentioned, hemp soaps have numerous beneficial effects when applied to the skin. The CBD oil used to prepare the soap is renowned for its high contents of essential fatty acids such as omega 3, 6 and 9.
These essential oils have excellent dermatological benefits. The essential fatty acids in CBD soaps coat the skin, hence, keeping it soft and smooth.
Furthermore, unlike other highly medicated skin soaps and creams, hemp soaps do not promote the unnecessary use of antibiotics with the end result being the development of resistance to antibiotics by common bugs. Hemp soaps also do not contain Triclosan.
This is a well-known carcinogen and environmental pollutant previously found in almost all types of skin soaps. Fortunately, it has been banned by the FDA.
Helps to Treat Acne
Acne is a common skin condition affecting a very huge population across the globe. Its treatment has proven evasive to many skin physicians. However, the development of CBD and hemp oil based soaps seems to represent a breakthrough.
In fact, hemp oil is now popular as the Holy Grail when it comes to acne treatment.
CBD oil is known to for its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties. These properties help maintain healthy skin by facilitating organized cellular proliferation within the skin.
Furthermore, according to research done in 2014 by the National Center for Biotechnology, CBD oil can reduce the secretory functions of sebaceous glands.
It is worth noting that excessive secretion by these glands has been associated with acne. Hemp oil also contains a high concentration of linoleic acid, a fatty acid known to regulate the quality of sebum produced by the skin.
Helps Treat Wrinkles and Blemishes
Skincare soaps that contain either CBD oil or hemp oil as a core ingredient have been shown to significantly decelerate the aging process by interacting with the endocannabinoid system.
As a result, CBD soaps have the ability to reduce wrinkles, keeping one’s skin youthful and radiant. In fact, CBD oil has one of the highest success rates as a cost-effective remedy for wrinkles.
With summer comes an opportunity awaited so eagerly by many people, a chance to bask peacefully in the sunny beaches. Unfortunately for many people, especially those with light skins, the accompanying sunburns are unbearable.
However, there is no need to worry anymore. CBD and hemp oil soaps are rapidly taking over as the ultimate treatment for sunburns.
The skin soothing oil within the soap percolates through the skin into the deeper layers. The oil is an excellent painkiller, alleviating the extreme pain associated with sunburns especially during the first bath after a whole day of basking in the sun.
Additionally, the hemp seed oil keeps the skin moist ensuring that areas affected by sunburn do not crack easily.
CBD oil possesses excellent analgesic properties. It is gradually replacing pharmaceutical painkillers such as opioid analgesics. CBD oil comes with the advantage of being administered via multiple means including topically. Such topical CBD or hemp seed oil is prepared into lotions, ointments, and soaps.
When applied rigorously on the skin such as during a bath, the medicinal oils penetrate into the skin whereby it helps in suppressing the pain. CBD soaps are an ideal alternative in the management of musculoskeletal pains and chronic inflammatory pain such as the pain associated with arthritis.
Helps Heal Damaged Skin
CBD soap contains essential fatty acids such as linoleic acid which protects the skin from oxidative damage by free radicals. These fatty acids are also known to possess regenerative properties.
They enhance cellular proliferation in damaged areas of the skin thereby aiding in healing and the repair of defects on the skin.
Helps With Psoriasis and Eczema
Various CBD or hemp seed oil based soaps have been used to treat dry itchy inflamed and scaly skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema. These skin disorders result from an aberrant immune response.
According to a study performed by the University of Colorado in 2017, CBD oil acting through the endocannabinoid system inhibits inflammatory responses and pain, both of which play a significant role in the development of eczema and psoriasis.
As a result, CBD soaps have great potential in the treatment of many inflammatory diseases including eczema and psoriasis.
Uses for CBD Soap
CBD oil can be utilized for various purposes, these include;
- Anticonvulsants used to treat various types of epilepsy.
- Anti-inflammatory agent for many chronic inflammatory diseases.
- Antioxidant for degenerative disorders.
- Anxiolytic for anxiety disorders.
- Antipsychotic agents for mental disorders such as schizophrenia.
Side Effects of CBD Soap
Contrary to what most people believe, CBD oil and CBD oil products such as CBD soaps do not produce psychoactive effects. This means that one does not get ‘high’ by using CBD products. Many studies have shown that CBD hemp oil lacks serious side effects.
However, there exist a few potential side effects of CBD soaps such as fatigue, dry mouth, impaired motor control, hypotension, and dizziness.
The above mentioned possible side effects are, however, rare and transient. Furthermore, medical benefits such as pain relief outweigh these side effects.
How to Make CBD Soap
CBD soap can easily be made at home. To make such CBD-infused soap, one requires a couple of ingredients which include:
- 16oz. CBD oil
- 15oz. olive oil
- 13 oz. shea butter
- 27oz. coconut oil
- 13oz. lye
- 19oz. cocoa butter
- 30oz. distilled water
- 4oz. essential oil fragrance
- a pot, a food thermometer
- a blender
- a mold of your liking
After assembling all the necessary ingredients, follow this simple procedure;
- Allow the shea butter and cocoa butter to liquefy over low heat.
- CBD oil, coconut, and olive oil are then added and allowed to warm slowly over low heat until the mixture reaches 210 degrees.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the lye and stir the mixture thoroughly.
- The resulting mixture is then pulsed in a blender for about 10 seconds.
- Next, the fragrance is added and mixed well once the mixture has cooled.
- Finally, the mixture is poured into a suitable mold.
- The soap is then allowed to set and cure for 3 weeks, after which it is ready for use.
Best CBD Soap
There are dozens of CBD soap brands in the market today as various manufacturers strive to diversify their products. Here are the best samples in the market:
Hippie Butter Hemp Oil Bath Soap
Hippie butter hemp oil bath soap boasts a skin-soothing and a sweet-smelling touch. It is laden with grapefruit and guava flavors. The soaps have excellent skin moisturizing effects needed for soft and smooth skin. It is one of the best soaps for sensitive skin.
Hippie butter contains the following;
- Coconut oil
- Palm oil
- CBD oil
- Olive oil
This wonder-working soap comes at an affordable price of $42.99.
Jacob Hooy CBD Soap
A completely natural soap, specially made to soothe and nurture even the most sensitive skins. The soap contains;
- Glycerine soy
- Elaeis Guineensis oil
- Cocoa Nucifera oil
- Hemp seed oil
- CBD extract
- The soap also boasts of several flavors such as:
- Cinnamomum oil.
A bottle of 120ml retails at around $8.00 and hence very affordable to most people.
Sacred Kana Organic CBD Oil Soap
With a CBD content of 3 percent and THC of 0.02 percent, the Sacred Kana CBD soap is one of a kind. Its skin healing properties are unrivaled by any other soap. It cleanses and nurtures the skin, leaving it smooth, sparkling and youthful. This soap comes at an affordable price of $34.
CBD Skincare Purple Haze
Coupled with its fancy name, Purple Haze CBD soap boasts of 100mg of CBD, a content way above those of its predecessors and other soaps. The high CBD content greatly moisturizes the skin, clearing any haziness in the process. Purple haze retails at $52.
Leaf Boutique CBD Soap
With zero percent industrial chemical content, Leaf Boutique CBD soap purity is unrivaled. It is prepared in entirety from 100 percent organic ingredients such as goat’s milk, glycerin, and essential oils.
Its prowess in alleviating all sorts of skin disorders is unrivaled. It also comes in different varieties and flavors including peppermint Rinse, Caribbean Breeze, and Lavender. You can buy Leaf Boutique at $39.
CBD Soap: Final Thoughts
Going by the ever-spiraling developments within the marijuana industry, the role of cannabis in human health is bound to increase significantly. The cannabis soaps as a component of bath bombs represent a single example.
The dermatological benefits of CBD and hemp seed oil demand greater attention. The CBD soaps are a prime example of what CBD oil can do to alleviate the sufferings of those people with sensitive skins.
And if CBD soap doesn’t seem like something you want to try but still want to incorporate CBD into your daily routine, CBD Oil Blog recommends the following CBD brands:
[product-multiple product-id1=10380 product-id2=10338 product-id3=10384]CBD soap is a naturally prepared soap laden with lots of skin soothing essential fatty acids derived from the seeds of the cannabis plant. ]]>