Why Can’t You Buy CBD Oil on Amazon?
By Op-Ed Blogger David Kranker
If you’re like most Americans, when you need something, you hop onto Amazon. The retail giant accounts for 37.7% of all online sales in the United States, and has rapidly expanded its business, offering delivery of certain products within 2 hours in some areas. Yet there are products that Amazon doesn’t offer — such as CBD oil.
It may seem outrageous that something that is sold in stores across the United States can’t be purchased on Amazon. Yet the reason why is relatively simple: Amazon forbids the sale of supplements that contain controlled substances. Although CBD oil contains only trace amounts of the psychoactive component of marijuana, THC, Amazon relies on a federal law that considers marijuana to be a controlled substance.
Fortunately, there are ways to obtain high quality CBD oil and related products beyond Amazon. This article explores the reasons behind Amazon’s ban on CBD products — and explains why you shouldn’t search for CBD products by a different name on Amazon.
How Amazon’s Rules Limit the Sale of Certain Products
Amazon has a lengthy list of “restricted” products that either cannot be sold on its site, or can only be sold in limited circumstances. This list incorporates many items that cannot be sold on Amazon for obvious reasons, such as alcohol, tobacco, and live animals. It also strictly limits how dietary supplements — such as CBD oil — can be sold.
There are a number of rules that must be followed in order for a seller to list dietary supplements for sale on Amazon. For example, supplements must be sealed in their original packaging, and cannot have the logo of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or otherwise claim that the product is FDA approved. There are also restrictions on the ingredients contained in the supplement.
Under Amazon’s policy on supplements, these products “must not contain controlled substances, such as Cannabidiol (CBD), a Schedule I Controlled Substance.” This policy is based on the designation of marijuana as a Schedule I controlled substance under federal law. According to Amazon, “Controlled substances are drugs that are illegal, such as cocaine or heroin. Products used with controlled substances may be considered drug paraphernalia.” CBD is specifically listed by Amazon as a “known prohibited product.”
Is CBD Oil a Controlled Substance?
In 2019, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) clarified its rule regarding the classification of marijuana as a controlled substance. While marijuana remains a Schedule I controlled substance, the rule noted that materials or products that are excluded from the definition of marijuana are not controlled substances. In other words, if an extract is not considered marijuana under the Controlled Substances Act, then it isn’t a controlled substance.
So what does this mean for CBD oil and related products? The answer is relatively straightforward: if CBD oil is made from hemp, rather than marijuana, then it is not a controlled substance. Hemp is defined as “the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof…with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol [THC] concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis.”
In other words, hemp is not marijuana — and so it is not a controlled substance. The key distinction between hemp and marijuana (which come from two different varieties of the Cannabis plant) is the level of THC. Hemp cannot get you high because of its incredibly low levels of THC. As a result, neither hemp nor CBD oil produced from hemp are considered controlled substances.
Why Does Amazon Forbid the Sale of CBD Oil If It Isn’t a Controlled Substance?
Amazon is a massive corporation that does business across the world, and in every U.S. state and territory. Complying with both federal and state law is incredibly important for a company like Amazon, which one reason why it may err on the side of caution when it comes to products like CBD oil.
As discussed above, for a product to be considered hemp under federal law, it must contain extremely low (0.3% or less) levels of THC. Otherwise, it may be classified as marijuana and deemed a controlled substance.
However, even if a CBD product is derived from hemp, it is still regulated by the FDA. To date, the FDA has only approved one CBD product, which is used for the treatment of a specific type of seizures. This doesn’t mean that all other CBD products are illegal; it simply means that they have not been approved by the FDA for the treatment of a particular disease or condition.
Amazon sells hundreds of thousands of products. It is far simpler for the company to ban all CBD products instead of attempting to determine, on a case-by-case basis, if a product complies with both the Controlled Substances Act and the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. While this reality may change in the future, for now, retailers like Amazon won’t sell CBD products.
Why Buying CBD Products on Amazon Is a Bad Idea
Although Amazon strictly forbids the selling of CBD products on its site, some sellers have found a workaround: labeling and marketing their product as hemp oil, hemp extract, or hemp oil extract. Generally, these products are an oil or extract of the hemp plant — so the description is not inaccurate. But because the sellers who market these products cannot list the ingredients, buying them is a gamble.
In order to comply with Amazon’s rules, sellers of hemp oil products cannot disclose certain information, such as the presence of cannabinoids. This means that if you purchase a hemp oil product on Amazon, you may get some cannabinoids (CBD) — or you may not. If your goal is to purchase CBD oil for its beneficial effects, then buying it in this way is not a good option.
Hemp oil products are often listed for relatively high prices on Amazon. If you purchase hemp oil or hemp extract, you may end up spending a lot of money for a product that does not work. Similarly, if you buy hemp seed oil instead, it will not contain any CBD. Your better option is to purchase CBD oil from a company that verifies the level of CBD in its products through lab testing.
How to Buy CBD Oil from a Trusted Source
If you’re in the market for CBD oil, you need to make sure that you’re buying a quality product that is both legal and safe. There are a number of steps that you can take to make sure that you are buying from a reputable purveyor of CBD products. At a minimum, the company that is selling CBD oil should have their products independently tested to determine the CBD and THC (less than 0.3%) content, should list the ingredients and the origin of the CBD, and disclose how the CBD was extracted from the hemp plant.
At Green Wellness Life, we only sell CBD products that have been independently tested to verify that there are no contaminants, that the listed CBD level is accurate, and that the THC level is below 0.3%. We also list all ingredients for each product, specify the origin of the CBD, and state how the CBD was extracted. Our buyers guide is a helpful tool that you can use to select the CBD product that is right for you.
Safe Lab Tested Products To Consider
Shopping for CBD oil can be overwhelming with the wide variety of brand and products to choose from. We’ve compiled a list of some of the best CBD products on the market that are both safe and effective. This list is based on our own experiences, as well as, reviews from customers. We’ve divided the products up by recommended use. All of these products have links to lab results that you can review.
CBD Products For Pain
- Endoca Raw CBD/CBDa Hemp Oil Drops– Full spectrum products are recommended for pain due to the entourage effect. Endoca Raw CBD Drops are full spectrum and highly concentrated. Endoca is known for being one of the premier producers of top quality hemp in the world. You can’t go wrong with these drops.
- Hemplucid CBD & CBDa Body Cream – If you have concentrated pain in certain areas of your body that you’re looking to alleviate, then the body cream produced by Hemplucid is our recommended choice. The cream is full spectrum and mixed with cocoa butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and aloe vera. You can apply the cream to areas where you feel pain and the skin will absorb the cannabinoids to provide targeted relief.
- Pana Health Daily CBD Softgels – Pana Health Daily CBD Softgels are a high-strength full spectrum capsule option for those looking for pain relief. Pana Health products have earned a reputation for providing high-quality CBD at affordable prices. The softgels are intended to have a time-release so that you can receive the benefits of CBD over a longer period of time.
CBD Products For Mood Improvement
- MedTerra Broad Spectrum CBD Tincture – MedTerra’s broad spectrum tincture is both convenient to take and affordable. The high quality CBD can be very helpful for mood improvement. The tincture is tasteless, so you won’t have to worry about the strong earthy flavor that raw hemp has.
- Social CBD Boost Gel Capsules– Social CBD capsules not only contain CBD, but also include natural additives that can give you a boost every morning. Social capsules have zero THC and undergo some of the highest levels of testing out of any other CBD product. They are easy to take and can be a great daily supplement to improve your mood.
- Charlotte’s Web CBD Gummies – If you’d prefer to improve your mood through snacking, then the Charlotte’s Web CBD Gummies may be the right product for you. The gummies are full spectrum and include flavors made from real fruits and vegetables. They taste delicious and are perfect for both those new to CBD and CBD veterans looking to get more from their daily routine.
CBD Products For General Wellness
- Lift CBD Broad Spectrum Tincture – The Lift CBD Broad Spectrum Tincture is fast acting and made with only natural plant extracts. The broad spectrum CBD can help improve your overall wellness and the two flavors it comes in (tangerine and peppermint) are delicious.
- Papa & Barkley Releaf CBD Balm – Papa & Barkley’s Releaf Balm is a full spectrum balm made with a beeswax and several essential oils. You can apply the balm to your skin to provide a soothing sensation that will keep you feeling good all day. The balm can also help to alleviate discomfort from chronic aches and post-workout soreness.
- Endoca Hemp Raw CBD & CBDa Oil Softgels – Endoca’s Raw Hemp Oil Capsules contain high-quality full spectrum CBD oil. The capsules are odorless and tasteless, which make them easy to take on a daily basis. They are made completely from plant products and contain no animal ingredients and are great for improving overall general wellness.
CBD Products For Sleep
- Lift CBD Calming Honey Sleep Drops – Lift’s sleep aid tinctures are specially formulated to reduce stress and improve sleep. The drops contain honey to make taking the tincture a more soothing process. The tincture also contains an increased amount of CBD, which when combined with the melatonin in the tincture helps to get you to sleep and keep you there.
- Medterra Dissolvable CBD Sleep Tablets – Medterra’s dissolvable sleep tablets include both CBD and melatonin to provide a more restful sleep. You can place the tablet under your tongue or in your cheek before swallowing to experience effects faster than a traditional capsule or softgel.
- Social CBD Rest Gel Capsules – Social rest capsules contain zero THC and are a great option for more restful nights. The natural additives in combination with the CBD will help you rest. You can take 1-2 capsules every night before bed to earn better sleep each night.
CBD Products For Stress
- Social CBD Drops – Social is well known for anxiety reduction and stress relief. Social drops contain a specially formulated balance of CBD, herbs, coconut oil, and MCT oil to help alleviate stress.
- Social CBD Transdermal Patch – The Social patch is a high-strength patch that can provide 20 or 60mg of CBD when applied to the skin. The CBD is absorbed through the skin and into the bloodstream. The calming effects can last for 12 to 24 hours.
- cbdMD CBD Bath Bombs – Baths alone can help to relieve stress, but a bath with a CBD bath bomb can provide even greater calming and relaxing effects. The bath bombs from cbdMD include pure grade essential oils, aromatics, epsom salts, CBD, and other natural ingredients. The epsom salts can increase your blood flow and open up your pores while the CBD and essential oils create a relaxing experience to melt away stress.
CBD Products For Workout Recovery
- MedTerra Broad Spectrum CBD Tincture – MedTerra’s broad spectrum tincture is not only great for mood improvement, but also effective for workout recovery. The tincture is convenient to take and affordable. It’s also tasteless, so you won’t have to worry about the strong earthy flavor that raw hemp has.
- Pure Ratios 96 hour CBD Patch -Pure Ratios produces one of the longest lasting CBD patches on the market. The Pure Ratios patch will disperse 40mg of CBD into your body over the course of 96 hours. If you need relief after a workout in a targeted part of your body, the patches are a great option and can be applied to that specific area.
- Bluebird Botanicals Hemp CBD Lotion – Bluebird CBD lotions are a great option for workout recovery. You can rub the lotion into the areas of your body where you need relief from pain or soreness to have the CBD get to work in those areas. The lotion is full spectrum, which makes it great for relief from pain and inflammation.
Ready to buy? Shop our selection of CBD products at any time. If you would like more information, you can contact us via email or by calling (888) 772-7875.You can buy just about anything off of Amazon, but CBD is nowhere to be found on the e-commerce site. Allow us to explain why… ]]>