A Cat Ate a Weed Cookie and Got Ridiculously, Hilariously High
Updated 9 months ago
Carmine Deville is a model, burlesque producer, and cat mom. She’s got two of them. They’re black, they’re adorable, and one of them, Carmilla, recently got very, very high after eating a weed cookie that Carmine accidentally left out for a minute in a place that her cats could reach.
Carmine wrote an entire epic thread chronicling her poor cat’s adventure with being extremely, hilariously high, and it went totally viral.
The tongue out kills me. I’ve heard multiple stories of pets who’ve accidentally gotten into pot, and it’s always hilarious. Generally, the danger associated with a pet getting into weed depends on their size and how much they ingested, but in lots of cases, you just have to let them ride it out.
Carmine assures us Carmilla was ultimately fine. “I wanna preface this by saying she’s fine,” she writes, “because this cat is an indestructible Dumpster Demon TM with a stomach of steel. Her father was a raccoon and her mother ate and s–t nails. She’d fight god for half a stale bagel and win.” Is it just me, or is this cat also your new hero?
“Secondly,” she continues, “this is on me because I’m fully aware that both my garbage monsters would eat the entire actual trash can and all of its contents if they could fit it in their mouths, so I should have known better than to leave food unattended.”
She explains that she had a weed cookie in the freezer, and placed it on top of the fridge to thaw. She thought it would be safe up there for the 60 seconds she took to go use the restroom. After all, it was inside its wrapping and three plastic freezer bags. Should have been enough of a barrier to protect it from two nosy cats, right? Wrong.
She writes, “In the 60 seconds it took me to pee and wash my hands, these s–theads tag-teamed their Great Cookie Heist to swipe the cookie off the fridge, chew through all three freezer bags and the paper, and snarf the entire cookie, leaving just the chocolate chips on the rug.”
It was nice of them to at least leave the chocolate chips.
So I walk in on this and see the shredded bags and crumbs and my cats casually licking themselves and just kind of pic.twitter.com/lrhzX0TTop
If you’re a pet owner, you’ve probably had the experience of coming home to a trash disaster on the floor and had to try to figure out what happened.
One time, I arrived home to a shredded and empty package of raw chicken. I realized my dog had gone in the garbage and had eaten an entire pound of raw chicken I’d thrown out because it was spoiled. Needless to say, he had crazy poops for several days.
Obviously, Carmine freaked out when she saw the remnants of the cookie package on the floor.She accidentally left a weed cookie where her cats could get it. One of them ate it and got what she describes as "violently high."
Marijuana Toxicity in Cats
Many pet owners want to know if their cat will experience any issues when inhaling second-hand pot smoke, eating marijuana brownies, or chewing on the leaves of the plant. While several cat owners out there think marijuana is just another form of catnip, it’s true that there is a drastic difference.
Catnip and Marijuana
Catnip is a plant that comes from the mint family. The perennial herb has downy leaves, purple-spotted white flowers, and a pungent smell that makes cats go crazy when smelled and sleepy when eaten. Marijuana, on the other hand, comes from a plant called Cannabis sativa. The chemical in Cannabis that produces the altered states of consciousness humans enjoy is called Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol or THC.
Marijuana is sometimes prescribed for relief from pain and nausea due to chemotherapy in cancer patients, and for certain conditions in AIDS patients. However, it’s still questionable whether there is anything beneficial in the plant for feline friends. In fact, it is strongly suggested that cats do not come close to any smoke from marijuana use, or any other smoke from cigarettes, cigars, or pipes.
How Cats Are Exposed to Marijuana
The most common ways cats are exposed to marijuana is by inhaling smoke or ingesting dried marijuana. Although people who have experimented with smoking catnip become happy and relaxed, cats should not be forced to “smoke” any substance.
Because of the cumulative effects of inhaling any kind of smoke, it is inadvisable to smoke marijuana anywhere near a cat, particularly one with asthma or other lung diseases. It’s important to be mindful of this, as humans are able to make educated decisions around topics like these, while cats are not.
In some cases, cats may nibble on the leaves and/or buds of the growing marijuana plant. Humans may also feed their cats cookies or brownies made with marijuana. This is a double whammy of injury to the cat, as the brownies and/or cookies may also contain chocolate, which is toxic to cats on its own.
According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), your cat may experience extreme sleepiness or excitation, hypersalivation, dilated pupils, or low blood pressure. There may also be instances of low body temperature or even death (although it’s rare). Additional symptoms most commonly observed include:
- Uncoordination, falling over
- Depression, sometimes alternating with agitation or anxiety
- Bradycardia (slow heart rate)
- Seizures, sometimes coma
If your cat demonstrates any of the symptoms above, you should take it to the veterinarian as soon as possible.
- If you have reason to believe your cat was exposed to marijuana smoke or has ingested marijuana in any form, it’s important to mention this to the vet. Quick treatment may ameliorate the most severe symptoms, and even save your cat’s life.
” data-caption=”” data-expand=”300″ data-tracking-container=”true” />
Illustration: The Spruce / Hilary Allison
Medical Marijuana for Painful Conditions
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) publishes several articles about marijuana treatments and drug monitoring programs for animals. In 2017, AVMA House of Delegates members urged the Association to develop policies and guidance around marijuana treatments at the Veterinary Information Forum. One of the topics discussed included the increase of toxicity cases. Delegates like Dr. Dick Sullivan encouraged more research to be performed and for the national association to write to or petition the FDA in order to address marijuana issues to clients.
One article published in June 2013 tackled veterinary marijuana and pet owners who are looking to legalize marijuana for painful symptoms of the disease. The article quoted a woman who owned a 12-year-old labrador-retriever type of dog which had a tumor of the spleen metastasized to his liver and lungs. Unfortunately, the dog had been given two months to live, and the tramadol given for the pain was not doing the job. Of course, the poor dog was obviously in pain and completely inactive.
Because California legalized marijuana for humans, the dog’s owner was able to buy a glycerin tincture of marijuana that’s sold as a pet medicine in licensed medical marijuana dispensaries throughout Los Angeles. The dog’s improvement in activity and the easing of pain was such that the pet owner recommended the drug to other dog owners.
Under the same circumstances, it’s understandable that many pet owners wouldn’t hesitate to give medical marijuana to their own cats if it were available in their state. Thus, there needs to be more research and medicines available for cats experiencing pain.
Until it’s legal for vets to prescribe Cannabis to pets, they won’t have the authority to prescribe the drug. Overconsumption of THC may also create serious health risks in cats. However, hemp-based treatments high in Cannabidiol (CBD) can help. With more research, it’s possible that there is a dosage that can help cats with conditions like Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), pancreatitis, arthritis, asthma, and cancer.
There are HempRx vitamins and oils that can act as a medication or supplement for your cat. Additionally, there are holistic and integrative veterinarians who can work with you to find the right product for your cat.Pet owners want to know if marijuana is toxic to cats. See whether eating the leaves of the plant or inhaling second-hand smoke makes a difference. ]]>